Renovation Update of Walton Arts Center….
A view of the new Tyson entrance and plaza.
The expansion and renovation of Walton Arts Center is well underway. In June 2015, we celebrated with a groundbreaking ceremony kicking off construction on the main facility, and in November, we will re-open with what we are calling our “Hard Hat Season.” Things might feel a little cramped before construction is completed in November 2016, but we hope you will check out the virtual tour to take a sneak peek at all the exciting renovations underway.
Once completed, the expanded Starr Theater will include a window that will look out onto West Street and the new Underwood Garden.
The virtual tour reveals what you can expect once construction is complete! As our audiences have grown, the constraints of the current facility have become clear. The expansion and renovation of the facility will add nearly 30,000 square feet to enhance your experiences and address the aged facility’s needs.
Construction has begun on the new atrium and will continue during the Hard Hat Season.
The expansion will:
- Enhance your experience with a new atrium that connects to Dickson Street.
- Expand and renovate Starr Theater.
- Add much needed backstage space to ensure that two fully-functional theaters operate in Walton Arts Center’s main facility.
- Make technical upgrades that keep Walton Arts Center current with the demands of artists and tours.
- Increase accessibility and amenities to ensure a friendly destination for all.
- Add new administrative offices for Walton Arts Center staff.
A view inside Baum Walker Hall from the Balcony, showing the balcony expansion that will be complete by November 2015, just in time for “Pippin,” the musical!